Saturday, June 29, 2013

ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO - The Wild Ones - "Cult Of The Damned" (1969)

Well, it's time to wrap up this psycho-delicatessen of a month, and I can't think of a better film to do it with than "Angel, Angel, Down We Go" aka "Cult Of The Damned!"  This poster is a completely stupid misrepresentation of what this film is really about!!

I first came in contact with this film years ago on the internet! Long before Youtube, people used to post weird short avi or quicktime videos on their websites, and one night I stumbled on a clip from this movie, but there was no information as to where or what movie it was from. It wasn't until 4 or 5 years later that I figured it out, but then I was left with the problem of finding a copy, but thanx to Brian Horrorwitz over at The Trash Palace, my long journey finally came to an end! So, here we are, but where are we really?

"Cult Of The Damned" is one weird movie, and I'm not sure that anybody that had anything to do with it really wants it resurfacing!  It was directed by writer Robert Thom in his first and last try at directing! Robert also wrote the film! Some of Robert's other works include the masterpiece "Death Race 2000!"

The glue that binds the whole thing together are collages by an artiste named Shirley Kaplan in what I believe was her sole contribution to Hollywood film making!

The decadent band in the film is The Wild Ones lead by Jordan Christopher! The Wild Ones also performed in two other movies, "The Fat Spy" and "Lord Love A Duck!"

The portly spoiled rich girl angel is played by the talented feminist gay political activist, singer, songwriter Holly Near!

I'm not getting the vibe that Holly thinks this is the greatest accomplishment of her long and varied career!

The ex-stag film star Mother is played by classy actress Jennifer (Duel In The Sun) Jones, and the super rich closet-dwelling homosexual Father is played by the extremely talented Charles Aidman! Charles was in not one, but two "Twilight Zone" episodes, "Little Girl Lost," and "And When The Sky Was Opened!"

The whole skydiving element wasn't working for me, but it was a major part of the plot development! A much better skydiving film is Coleman Francis's "The Skydivers!"

This looks like a shot out of a "Monkees" episode or something! The rest of the gang is rounded out by Roddy (Planet Of The Apes) McDowall), sweet Lou (Stormy Monday) Rawls, and Davey (The Strangler) Davison!

Lou Rawls is just chillin' as The Natural Man by the pool! How you could have a movie with Lou Rawls in it, and he doesn't sing one note, is way beyond me!!

And that, my friends, is just about how much sense it makes!

Just in time for the 4th of July!!

2 comments:

Jeremy Allison said...

One of my favorite 60s psychedelic films! Great soundtrack, too!

Matthew St. Cyr said...

I want to say that I've seen this...a long time ago at a friends house. I think we were probably a little...shall we say, altered at the time....

Monster Music

Monster Music
AAARRGGHHH!!!! Ya'll Come On Back Now, Y'Hear??